The University of Manchester Complaints Procedure - Accommodation

How to Complain

The University of Manchester is responsive to the needs of our students and visitors and welcomes comments and complaints as a means of improving services. We won't necessarily be able to change the things in the way that you would like or always meet your needs but we will always be able to give you an explanation of how a decision has been made. The University of Manchester will always be professional and courteous in dealing with complaints and we will try to be as quick as we can in responding to you. We will also consider where appropriate claims for compensation if such claims are justified. We will investigate complaints on an individual basis including requests for compensation and will provide a full response which will include the reason for our decision.

The University of Manchester Residential Services is responsible for over 8,000 residents at any one time. It is inevitable that from time to time complaints arise. This procedure explains:

  • How to make a complaint
  • How to make a claim for compensation.*
  • How you can expect us to deal with it
  • What you can do if you are unhappy with our response

* Compensation

You may be entitled to request compensation: You will need to have brought the problem to our attention to have allowed us to put it right within our Service Level Agreements . Details of why you believe you are entitled to compensation should be included in your complaint.


If you have a complaint, in the first instance please discuss this with a member of staff concerned or with the Administration Office for your hall (details below) to try and resolve the matter, explaining both the problem and your desired outcome. Maintenance problems should be logged on the appropriate building maintenance reporting system and internet problems should be reporting via HORNET or your alternative provider if you live in a leased hall. If you have a complaint you should let us know as soon as possible.

Victoria Park Campus: Dalton-Ellis Hall, Conyngham Road, Victoria Park, Manchester, M14 5RL. Tel: +44 161 306 9844

City Campus: Grove House Office, 316 Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WJ. Tel: +44 161 275 4950

Fallowfield Campus: Owens Park, 293 Wilmslow Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6HD. Tel: +44 161 306 9900


Stage 1

If you are unhappy about a response you receive, or the complaint is actually about the member of staff involved or if you feel that the complaint warrants further investigation or if you feel you should receive compensation for the issue you are complaining about then you may initiate a formal complaint. To do this you must complete the online complaints form - see link below - you will first be asked to login with your university username and password. You may seek compensation as resolution to your complaint which will be considered if your complaint is justified and as indicated above you should indicate why you believe you are entitled to compensation in your particular case.

If you have a complaint you should let us know as soon as possible and within 40 working days of the event or lack of action about which you are complaining.

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 48 hours (excluding weekends, public holidays and official University holidays) and responded to within five working days of the receipt of the complaint. The Complaints Officer will determine whether the complaint should be dealt with by a Manager for the area in which your complaint falls or whether the complaint should more appropriately be investigated by a member of the Residential Services Senior Management Team. If circumstances mean a full response is likely to take longer we will keep you informed of the process

Formal complaints must be made in writing using the online complaints form. However if you are unable to use this then please send an e-mail to requesting an alternative form.

Contact details for the Complaints Officer:

Mrs Tracy Altham

The Accommodation Office

316 Oxford Road

Manchester M13 9WJ

Tel: +44 161 275 7288

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with the response received at Stage 1 you may appeal to the Director of Residential Services stating the reason why you are unhappy with the initial response. This appeal must be submitted within 10 working days of receipt of the final response in Stage 1. You will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) from receipt of the appeal and a full written response within 10 working days. This response will either come from the Director of Residential Services or a member of the Residential Services Senior Management Team. If you are still not happy with the response you have the right to ask for your complaint to be taken to Review.

You can contact the Director of Residential Services by writing to:

Mrs Vicky Ackerley, Director of Residential Services, The Directorate for the Student Experience:


If, once a final decision on the complaint has been given you believe that the complaint has not been handled fairly or properly in accordance with this procedure, you can request a review under The University of Manchester ‘Regulation XVIII Student Complaints Procedure’ by writing directly to the Director of Teaching and Learning Support in the Teaching and Learning Support Office (TLSO) ( within 10 working days of you receiving the written response at Stage 2. You will need to state why you are unhappy with the outcome and include copies of any correspondence exchanged during the earlier stages. You will receive an acknowledgement of your request within five working days.

The Director of Teaching and Learning Support, or his or her delegated representative, will then review the case based on the documentation provided and will notify you of their decision within twenty working days of receipt of the request for the review. We will make every effort to follow the time limits set out in our procedure. However, where, for good reason, this is not possible we will keep you informed of progress.


All complaints will be dealt with confidentially though enquiries may have to be made to investigate the matters that are the subject of the complaint. The effectiveness of any complaints procedure depends on the University being able to collect appropriate information from the parties involved in order to investigate the matter properly. For this reason, anonymous complaints will not be dealt with.


The University seeks to create a study and residential environment which is free of harassment and which protects the dignity of students and staff irrespective of their gender, sexual orientation, racial or ethnic background, religion or disabled status. It regards sexual, racial or personal harassment very seriously and requires all students and staff to observe its policy in this area.

Students who believe they are experiencing harassment within their accommodation are advised to raise this with their ResLife Advisor in the first instance. You can also contact the Equality and Diversity Office on +44 161 306 5857, or the Students Union Advice Service. Further information is available online at: Equality & Diversity

External Referral

If you believe that your case has not been dealt with properly by the University or that the outcome is unreasonable then you can, provided you have completed all of our internal procedures, complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) if the complaint is eligible under its rules. Please visit OIA for further information.

The University of Manchester owned and managed residences comply with the regulations set by the Universities UK (UUK) code of practice. For more information regarding the UUK code of standards for university halls of residence, and complaints handling (covering England and Wales only) visit: UUK CODE

Advice and Guidance

You may seek advice in preparing any complaint from your hall ResLife team (if appropriate) or the University of Manchester Student Union Advice Service.


The Residences complaints procedure follows and applies the overarching University of Manchester ‘Regulation XVIII Student Complaints Procedure’. It is recommended that you consult Regulation XVIII alongside this procedure. However, please note, in Residential Services we have adopted a two-stage formal process in order to assure the efficient handling and resolution of complaints.