Once you have an offer to study you may apply for University accommodation by completing an online application via these web pages. Whether you offer is 'firm' or 'insurance', 'conditional' or 'unconditional' it doesn't matter ... if you have an offer to study then you can apply and applying is free. However do note that to accept an offer of accommodation you will need to make an Advance Licence Fee Payment of £400 to secure your room. PLEASE NOTE:

  • You will need a valid email address to complete the application and a valid University of Manchester ID number which will be on your offer letter.
  • Do not use your UCAS number this will not work..

The link to the online application is at the bottom of this page BUT we recommend that instead of immediately scrolling down you read through the information below and any appropriate links.

You might find this video helpful before you start reading.

Deadlines for Applying

You must submit an application within the following specified deadlines to qualify for the Accommodation guarantee - to understand if you fall within the guarantee please read more about it here.

Present Students

If you are a registered University of Manchester student and wish to live in University accommodation for the next academic year, applications are now being considered. For the academic year 2022/23 the closing date is midnight Sunday 27th February 2022. Once applications are received they are collated at the Accommodation Office then distributed to the Halls. We plan to inform applicants week beginning Monday March 21st 2022 about the success or not of their application to return to halls. If there is any change in this date applicants will be emailed directly. If you submitted an application after the deadline then we will only be able to consider it in late August 2022 and after the new students have been allocated accommodation.

New Undergraduates and Postgraduates

If you are not yet a registered University of Manchester student you must submit an application by 31st August of each year for arrival from September of that year. If you hold a conditional offer DO NOT wait until it is made unconditional.

Visiting and Exchange Students (Postgraduates and Undergraduates)

If you have been offered a place at the University of Manchester on an exchange programme, you must submit an application by 31st July of each year for arrival from September of that year.

Students studying with the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work (45 weeks of study)

All undergraduate students that wish to stay within University Halls of residence, will need to apply for a 41/42 week undergraduate accommodation agreement (September to June).

Accommodation will be available under our ‘summer vacation accommodation’ for the additional required weeks. Details of our ‘summer vacation accommodation’ including cost and how to apply will typically be available via our home page from mid to late April (enquires can also be made at your hall administration office) – we will do our best to assist with accommodation within your current hall of residence but due to operational reasons this is not always possible.

Please note you will not be charged more than the term-time rate for as long as your stay coincides with your term time.


As part of our commitment to ensure appropriate pastoral care is provided for the well being of students who, when starting University are under the age of 18, we have specific halls deemed suitable to accommodate you. You can read our Under 18s Policy for Residential Accommodation by following this link: Please contact us for further information

Physical or Mental Health requirements

If you have any physical or mental health needs or requirements you will be invited to tick a box which will result in you receiving, in an email that confirms receipt of your accommodation application, a link to a separate form in which you can specify exactly what your needs are. If you have supporting documentation make sure you have it saved to your computer, tablet or phone so you can easily upload it when requested to do so.

We understand that 'disability' is a very generic term that can cover a wide range of conditions and situations. We appreciate that everyone's situation can be different and that even two people with the same 'condition' may still have quite different needs. So if you have a disability or a medical or mental health condition and you believe the provision of accommodation should take account of this please do let us know - we think the additional form we have designed should help you to inform us so we can, in turn, help you. However if there is something you think we should know and you don't feel the form allows you to fully share your needs then write to us at

Please be assured that all the information you give us is treated as personal and sensitive data in accordance with current regulations and legislation on Data Protection and will only be made available to University staff or other parties related to the provision of accommodation where appropriate.

Lifestyle Moderated Areas

We have considered the provision of areas within Halls that can offer an alternative lifestyle to what might be considered the usual Undergraduate experience in a UK Institution. Students living in this area would have requested and be expected to adopt a moderated lifestyle in respect of alcohol, parties and noise etc. We do not envisage being able to guarantee a permanently quiet or alcohol free environment but by grouping like minded people together it is hoped we can at least provide a 'space' where a moderated lifestyle might flourish.

As one resident wrote: "I'd like to say thanks to you guys for pointing me towards a Lifestyle Moderated Area when I asked for this last year. It's been quite a peaceful experience here which helps my anxiety issues and has led me to consider staying, spaces permitting and the rest!"

If you are interested in this type of accommodation please contact the Accommodation Office

The Accommodation Office will endeavour as far as possible to take account of individual needs when allocating places in residences. If you would like any medical condition to be taken into account with your application, you must enclose a statement from your doctor (this will need to be posted/e-mailed separately if you are applying online). All information is treated in confidence.

Other concerns

It is understandable that moving away from home, wherever home maybe, can for many people be a time of great anxiety as well as a time of great excitement. If you have concerns about how you might settle in and make friends, get in touch with us and we will be happy to talk things through.

  • You might be leaving care, estranged from your family, a member of the LGBTQ+ community or the first from your family or community to go to University.
  • Alternatively you might be a parent or guardian of someone coming to University.
  • Possibly you are someone who doesn't want to live in hall but fears 'missing out' if you don't move in.

In all instances please get in touch. Write to us with your questions or give us your number and we'll call you back.

Changing your selection

Amendments to your selection of halls can be made by logging into your online application form and reselecting. The date you originally submitted your application form will remain the same even if you make amendments to the information on your application form.

Unfortunately, no changes will be accepted after midnight on 24th July 2022. Please note that your selections are not guaranteed.

Staff Accommodation

Staff seeking to live in hall should use click here; Staff Accommodation Application Form to secure accommodation and should read the Terms & Conditions which apply to all residents in addition to students. In addition the Residences Guide written for student residences will provide further useful information.

Please read the following before starting your application

To commence your application you will be taken through the following quick stages:

  • You will be asked to create an account using your University ID number (UID) and password chosen by yourself
  • You will be asked to confirm whether you need University accommodation for the current or next academic year (the academic year runs from September to August)
  • You will be asked to confirm whether you are a returning University of Manchester student or are planning on coming to study at Manchester as a newstudent (students who have deferred should class themselves as 'new')

Terms and Conditions of Residence in University Accommodation

Residences Guide

FURTHER NOTE: Before making an application it is a good idea to read both the Terms & Conditions AND the Residences Guide. We will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

The information collected on our online accommodation application form (and pre-arrival e-induction form) will be used solely for the following purposes:

  • administering your application for accommodation
  • managing your stay in our accommodation including keeping you informed of activities both in hall and in sports facilities provided by the Residential Sports Services Division, related services, maintenance work and statutory testing
  • ensuring the provision of internet services in halls of residence

We are legally obliged to pass your details to Manchester City Council for inclusion on the compulsory electoral register.

Your information will not be shared with any other third party other than:

  • where appropriate for safely managing your stay in the accommodation you are allocated to; or
  • with a third party provider of accommodation in which you, the applicant, are allocated accommodation by us, the University of Manchester and we, the University of Manchester, remain your landlord, or
  • to a third party provider of accommodation whose accommodation is leased by The University of Manchester for the purposes of providing accommodation to you.

We will keep the data collected on this form to the end of the current academic year plus 6 years.

For further information on how your personal data is used whilst you are registered student; how long it is retained and to find out how to exercise your rights please view the University of Manchester's Student Privacy Notice or contact: The Information Governance Office via email at, or in writing to The Christie Building, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL