GPs and General Health

Make sure you’re registered with a GP. It’s very important that you can easily arrange an appointment with a doctor if you ever feel ill.

During Welcome Week there will be many professionals on campus, including in some halls to help you register. You can also register directly with a clinic. Halls work differently and if you are not sure how to proceed, simply ask your ResLife Advisor what you should do.

You can register with a dentist separately but ask to register via NHS as well. You can also get your eyes checked for free at the University Teaching Clinic, just off Dover St in Carys Bannister Building.

Mental Health

If you are struggling with your Mental Health, please visit this more detailed support page. [Mental Health and Wellbeing page].


If you need to call an ambulance dial 999, but do so only if you are seriously ill. Then contact the university’s Security Service on 0161 306 9966 as they may have to lift barriers to allow vehicle access. They will also guide the crews to you and, as accredited first aiders, they may be able to assist before the ambulance arrives.

If you’re capable of attending hospital for non-urgent matters, go to the nearest accident and emergency unit (Manchester Royal Infirmary on Grafton Street - close to Whitworth Park).

Don’t forget to report the accident to your Hall’s administration office.

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon