Prospective Students:

What are the guidelines for living in halls?

What do I need to bring with me to live on campus?

  • You will need to provide bedding, towels, crockery and cutlery, cooking utensils (especially important for self-catered students), as well as general items to make your room feel more like your own; things like pictures of family and friends or your favourite book can make you feel at home and help with homesickness.

What time is breakfast/lunch/dinner served?

  • Meal times can be found here.

What is the postal address of my hall?

  • Postal addresses can be found on the individual hall pages, accessed from here.

Current Students:

How do I lodge a maintenance request?

What do I do if I have a complaint?

  • If the complaint is a maintenance issue please report the issue on the Building Maintenance System. If the complaint isn’t a maintenance issue, we have an Informal and a Formal Complaints Procedure. These are outlined on the Complaints Procedure page.

Where do I pick up my parcels?

  • All large parcels and mail that needs signing for will be delivered to your Hall Administration Office - you will be emailed to notify you when you have something to collect. You will need your confirmation number, found in the email, and some proof of ID (usually your student card).

Is there help/services for finding a house for second year?

  • Manchester Students Homes run a Landlord Accreditation scheme to make sure that students are safe and receiving fair deals for houses in the private sector. For more information please visit the MSH Website. The Students’ Union also run a scheme that encourages students to wait and not rush into signing for a house. They offer drop-in sessions that deal with contracts, your rights as a tenant, and what to look for when viewing houses. More details can be found here.

How do I use the laundry facilities?

  • There are laundry services at every Halls of Residence. To use the laundry services students are provided with laundry cards, which they have to top up with credit online via Circuit. Information on how to use the machines can also be found on the Circuit website, as well as explanations of washing symbols.


When should my son/daughter start looking for accommodation for second year?

  • Many students panic about finding houses early and end up signing for a house that they don’t like or living with people who they are no longer close with. The University recommends not rushing into finding accommodation for second year and runs a scheme called ‘Don’t Let Yet!’ which encourages students to wait until semester 2 before signing for a house. Workshops and help is available from the Students’ Union and Manchester Student Homes.

What should my son/daughter do if they cannot pay their fees?

  • If students are struggling to pay rent, they should go to the Accommodation Office (Grove House) or their Hall Administration Office as soon as possible to discuss making alternative arrangements.

What if the FAQs have not answered my question?

  • If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please contact the Accommodations Office on, or the ResLife team.

Contact us:

Important contact numbers?

  • Numbers for the ResLife team can be found here.
  • Visit the Contacts section for more details.

Can I find you on social media?

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon