Types of Accommodation

Separate halls are available for undergraduates and postgraduates, but the University also has halls comprising of a mix of both. In these, graduate students are typically roomed together.

Catered Halls

In catered halls, meals are provided for 33 weeks and their cost is included in the residence fee, which makes budgeting easier. Varied and extensive menus are offered, vegetarian options are always available, and provision can be made for those with special dietary requirements. Students will be provided with an excellent choice of healthy meals twice a day for 5 days a week (Fallowfield) or 7 days a week (Victoria Park). More information on meal times and menus can be found here.

Self-catered Halls

Self-catered halls offer flexibility and independence: you determine the food budget, prepare the meals and decide when and what to eat. Typically, those in self-catered halls are grouped in shared flats or corridors. Communal lounges and kitchens are provided, in each of which you will find cupboard space, cookers, microwaves, refrigerators and freezers. Students are required to bring their own cutlery and crockery.

Another catering option

If you choose self-catered accommodation but you would like to have meals prepared for you occasionally FoodonCampus outlets around the University are available as an alternative source of nourishment throughout the day. For more information, see the FoodonCampus website.

Accommodation facilities

Study Bedrooms

Study bedrooms are single occupancy and comprise of a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and shelving; all have internet access. You may bring your own television but you are required to obtain your own television licence.

Standard Facilities

Standard rooms comprise standard fixtures and fittings (bed, desk, chair etc.), with other facilities (shower, wash-basins, toilet, etc.) shared with fellow residents. The ratio of facilities to residents is approximately 1:4 dependent upon the hall. This is the same for standard rooms with a wash-hand basin, however the fees for a standard room are less than those for standard wash-hand basin rooms. For more hall-specific information, please visit the relevant hall webpage here.

Ensuite Facilities

In addition to the standard fixtures and fittings (bed, desk, chair etc.), ensuite study bedrooms include an adjoining pod comprising a shower cubicle, wash-hand basin and toilet. Fees for ensuite facilities are higher than those for standard and standard wash-hand basin rooms.

Gender mix

All of the University's residences are mixed sex but for one all-female hall, St Gabriel's Hall. Ashburne Hall has separate female undergraduate areas and also mixed sex areas for both undergraduates and postgraduates. Additionally, some mixed sex halls offer single-sex flats or corridors.

Family accommodation

The University has a limited supply of accommodation specifically for students with families and partners. As demand exceeds supply this type of accommodation cannot be guaranteed. Through Manchester Student Homes many families and students with partners also find flats or houses in the private rented sector.

To avoid possible inconvenience, you are strongly advised to come to Manchester without your partner and/or family initially and send for them later once you have found suitable accommodation. You should also be aware that finding family accommodation for any period less than a full year is extremely difficult.

The University’s Family and Partner accommodation is at Horniman House. This residences is normally let for a 52-week period (from September to September).

Lifestyle Moderated Areas

We have considered the provision of areas within Halls that can offer an alternative lifestyle to what might be considered the usual Undergraduate experience in a UK Institution. Students living in this area would have requested and be expected to adopt a moderated lifestyle in respect of alcohol, parties and noise etc. We do not envisage being able to guarantee a permanently quiet or alcohol free environment but by grouping like minded people together it is hoped we can at least provide a form of genuine alternative.

If you are interested in either of these types of accommodation please contact the Accommodation Office:

Sheavyn House

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon