Complaints Procedure, Hall Transfers & Withdrawals

If you want to report a building maintenance issue then please do not use the official complaints form but instead use our online building maintenance system.

The University of Manchester is responsive to the needs of our students and visitors and welcomes comments and complaints as a means of improving services. We won't necessarily be able to change the things in the way that you would like or always meet your needs but we will always be able to give you an explanation of how a decision has been made. The University of Manchester will always be professional and courteous in dealing with complaints and we will try to be as quick as we can in responding to you.


If you have a complaint, in the first instance please discuss this with a member of staff concerned or with the Administration Office for your hall (details below) to try and resolve the matter. Please let us know as soon as possible if you have a complaint.

Victoria Park Campus: Dalton-Ellis Hall, Conyngham Road, Victoria Park, Manchester, M14 5RL. Tel: +44 161 306 9844

City Campus (South): Grove House Office, 316 Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WJ. Tel: +44 161 275 4950

Fallowfield Campus: Owens Park, 293 Wilmslow Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6HD. Tel: +44 161 306 9900

City Campus (North): Wright Robinson Hall, Altrincham Street, Manchester, M1 7JA. Tel: +44 161 306 3131


Stage 1

If you are unhappy about a response you receive, or the complaint is actually about the member of staff involved or if you feel that the complaint warrants further investigation then you may initiate a formal complaint. To do this you must complete the online complaints form below, logging in with your central username and password.

If you have a complaint you should let us know as soon as possible and within 40 working days of the event or lack of action about which you are complaining.

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 48 hours (excluding weekends, public holidays and official University holidays) and responded to within five working days of the receipt of the complaint. The Complaints Officer will determine whether the complaint should be dealt with by a Manager for the area in which your complaint falls or whether the complaint should more appropriately be investigated by a member of the Residential Services Senior Management Team. If circumstances mean a full response is likely to take longer we will keep you informed of the process.

If you are unable to use the form below then please send an e-mail to requesting an alternative form.

The Residences Online Complaint Form

Details for the Complaints Officer can be found on the right-hand side of this page.

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with the response received at Stage 1 you may appeal to the Director of Residential Services stating the reason why you are unhappy with the initial response. This appeal must be submitted within 5 working days of receipt of the final response in Stage 1. You will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) from receipt of the appeal and a full written response within 10 working days. This response will either come from the Director of Residential Services or a member of the Residential Services Senior Management Team. If you are still not happy with the response you have the right to ask for your complaint to be taken to Review.

You can contact the Director of Residential Services by writing to:

Mrs Helen McGlashan, Director of Residential Services, The Directorate for the Student Experience:


If, once a final decision on the complaint has been given you believe that the complaint has not been handled fairly or properly in accordance with this procedure, you can request a review under The University of Manchester Regulation XVIII ‘Student Complaints Procedure’ by writing directly to the Director of Teaching and Learning Support in the Teaching and Learning Support Office ( within ten working days of you receiving your written response. You will need to state why you are unhappy with the outcome and include copies of any correspondence exchanged during the earlier stages. You will receive an acknowledgement of your request within five working days.

The Director of Teaching and Learning Support, or their delegated representative, will then review the case based on the documentation provided and will notify you of their decision within twenty working days of receipt of the request for the review. We will make every effort to follow the time limits set out in our procedure. However, where, for good reason, this is not possible we will keep you informed of progress.

External Referral

If you believe that your case has not been dealt with properly by the University or that the outcome is unreasonable then you can, provided you have completed all of our internal procedures, complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) if the complaint is eligible under its rules. Please visit OIA for further information.

The University of Manchester owned and managed residences comply with the regulations set by the Universities UK (UUK) code of practice. For more information regarding the UUK code of standards for university halls of residence, and complaints handling (covering England and Wales only) visit: UUK CODE

Hall Transfers & Withdrawals

Understandably, with over 8,000 rooms, some students wish to change rooms or halls. Sometimes, due to a variety of reasons, they wish to leave halls completely. If you fall into either of these categories, here is what you need to do.


If you are really unhappy with the room or hall you have been allocated, from mid-October you will be able to enter into the transfer process. If you wish to do so, you can download a transfer form (please be sure to read the notes that precede the form), available in October.

Please remember:

  • Completing a transfer form does not guarantee that we will be able to find you a new room. Demand for some halls is very high, which means the process may take longer for one person than another
  • Cases will be prioritised according to need
  • You must have approval from your ResLife Officer before we will complete a transfer
  • You may receive a cleaning fee if your room is not left in an acceptable condition
  • The Accommodation Office will contact you when a suitable vacancy arises
  • Finally, please note that should you accept an offer to transfer: You will be charged for the room you are leaving until the keys, swipe card and any other hall related items (such as meal tickets for example) have been returned to the appropriate hall administration office and charges for the room to which you are moving will commence from the agreed moving in date on your new licence agreement

Leaving Hall

There are a number of reasons that you may choose to leave halls entirely, and your reason will affect your liability once you have left. Remember, when you accept the licence agreement you are agreeing to pay for the room for the duration of the let length.

The process for leaving is similar to the transfer process. You must fill in the withdrawal form (please be sure to read the notes that precede the form), available on the Document Store from October.

There are two possible categories that you could fall under as an early leaver.

Category A

Students, who for either academic or personal reasons, are withdrawing from studies and leaving University:

  • You will be held liable for 28 days rent
  • You may incur a charge for room cleaning and/or damage if your room is left in an unacceptable condition
  • You must provide a letter from your academic department confirming your withdrawal and including the date of withdrawal

For further information visit:

Withdrawal - leaving the University

Category B

Leaving Halls to move to the private sector or returning home:

  • You will remain responsible for your full residence fees as stipulated in your accommodation licence agreement. If the Accommodation Office is able to find a suitable replacement who is a registered student at the University of Manchester and who is not already in University of Manchester accommodation you will be refunded the differences in fees
  • You may incur a charge for room cleaning and/or damage if your room is left in an unacceptable condition

All completed forms need to be signed by the ResLife Officer of your current residence.

If you have any questions about transfers or withdrawals, please ask your hall administration office or the Accommodation Office at:

The Accommodation Office
Grove House
316 Oxford Road
M13 9WJ
Tel: +44 161 275 2888

Contact details for the Complaints Officer

Mrs Tracy Altham
The Accommodation Office
316 Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9WJ
Tel: +44 161 275 7288



The Residences complaints procedure follows and applies the overarching University of Manchester Regulation XVIII ‘Student Complaints Procedure. It is recommended that you consult Regulation XVIII alongside this procedure.


All complaints will be dealt with confidentially, though enquiries may have to be made to investigate the subject of the complaint. The effectiveness of any complaints procedure depends on the University being able to collect appropriate information from the parties involved in order to investigate the matter properly. For this reason, anonymous complaints will not be dealt with.


The University seeks to create a study and residential environment which is free of harassment, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, racial or ethnic background, religion or disabled status.

Students who believe they are experiencing harassment within their accommodation are advised to raise this with their ResLife Officer. You can also contact the Equality and Diversity Office on +44 161 306 5857.

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon