Finance & Legal

By accepting the licence agreement for a place in Halls of Residence, you are entering into a legally binding agreement. This means that there are certain obligations that must be met, not least of which is paying your fees!

We know that for many of you this may seem a little overwhelming initially, so here is some information to help clarify what is expected of you, as well as what you can expect of us.

Legal Obligations

The Terms and Conditions of Residence in University Accommodation create legally binding obligations, both for you as a resident and us as the provider. When you accept the licence agreement, you are agreeing to abide by these conditions, including staying and paying for the full period of residence, so it is vital that you read them through carefully before you accept the offer of accommodation. If there is anything at all that you do not understand or are uncertain of, please ask someone at the Accommodation Office. We will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Terms and Conditions of Residence in University Accommodation

Please read these carefully before accepting the licence agreement and contact us immediately if you have any questions about them.

Terms and Conditions of Residence in University Accommodation 2016-17

Residences Guide for 2016-17

For those still in Residence for 2015-16 you can your current Terms & Conditions here and your Residences Guide here

How can I pay my Accommodation Fees?

In order to accept your offer of accommodation you will be required to make a pre-payment of £400.00 via the online acceptance process.

At the point that you accept your offer you can then decide how you want to pay the remainder of the fees due.

This can be arranged by one of the following methods:

1) Payment in a Single Payment (in full)
You can pay the full amount (including the pre-payment of £400) online by debit/credit card at the time you accept your offer via the online acceptance process.

2) Payment in a Single Instalment
As part of the online acceptance process once you have paid the £400 pre-payment by credit/debit card you can elect to pay the balance on arrival. The balance will be payable in one single instalment by debit or credit card and you can do this by contacting the Student Services Centre on 0161 275 5000 or your Hall Administration Office.

If you are entering student accommodation in September you must ensure that the balance is paid on or before the 30th September.

Please note that you can also pay by bankers draft or transfer payment directly into the University bank account via bank transfer.

3) Payment in three instalments
As part of the online acceptance process once you have paid the £400 pre-payment by credit/debit card you can elect to pay the balance in three instalments. To pay in three instalments you must make payments by direct debit.

You can set up the direct debit on-line at the point of acceptance online, please note that you can only do this online if you have a valid UK bank account.

If you do not have a UK bank account at this time you can email a completed mandate to no later than 30th September.

4) Sponsored Students

If you are sponsored by a third party organisation that require the University to invoice for accommodation fees due then you must provide an official letter of sponsorship.

UK Sponsors

Please ask your sponsor to edit this template with your sponsorship details and send a PDF to

International Sponsors

Please note that the sponsorship letter needs to contain the following information:

  • Must be addressed to The University of Manchester
  • Must be produced on official company letter headed paper from the sponsoring organisation/embassy and must state clearly:
  • Contact telephone numbers / fax / email.
  • The full name of the student to be sponsored.
  • A statement that the student's accommodation fees (£ amount) or proportion of their fees (£ amount) will be paid upon receipt of an invoice from the University.

It is advantageous to submit your sponsor letter as soon as possible to If your sponsor letter is received at the point of offer you will not be required to pay the £400 pre-payment.

Your sponsor information will be updated in the system and your sponsor will be invoiced for accommodation fees due once your arrive.

What happens if I cannot pay the rent?

You must inform staff at the Accommodation Office as soon as possible if you will have difficulties paying the rent at the agreed times. They may be able to offer the option of moving to a cheaper hall and so reduce your overall rent liability or they can arrange for you to meet with the University's Credit Control team who will be able to assist you with setting up a payment plan. Ignoring financial problems is never the answer to dealing with them. Seek advice at the earliest opportunity.

What about paying my tuition fees?

If you need more information on paying your tuition fees then click here.

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon