Before You Arrive

Your hall administration office will send you details about parking and key collection that are specific to your residence as your move in date approaches.

However, we realise that you will be anxious about making sure you are fully prepared for your big move, so we have put together this guide that will help you to work out what you need, what you can leave behind and any other extra bits of information that may be helpful.

Residences Guide

We have written a handbook to provide you with information that will help you to settle in to life in halls, which for many of you will be an entirely new environment and possibly even your first time living away from home. It covers a range of issues from domestic arrangements and Health and Safety, to a Code of Conduct and information on counselling.

Please remember the information contained in this guide is correct at the time of going to press. However The University of Manchester policy is one of continuous improvement and we reserve the right to modify any details.

Residences Guide for 2015-16

Your Arrival

Most accommodation licence agreements start from approximately mid-September. You can move in any day after the start of your licence agreement. Occasionally halls allow students to move in earlier than this, although very often this is not possible as halls are being used for other purposes. However, if you are allowed to move in earlier than your licence agreement start date then all extra nights will have to be paid for.

Information on where you need to collect your keys from and other details you will want to know for the day you move in can be found on your hall's individual web entry - click here.

Fallowfield Campus Arrival Arrangements - for Ashburne Hall, Linton House, Oak House, Owens Park. Richmond Park, Sheavyn House, The Firs Villa, Woolton. Fallowfield Campus Drop Off Arrangements for those arriving by car

Victoria Park Campus Arrival Arrangements - for Burhardt House, Canterbury Court, Dalton Ellis Hall, Hulme Hall, Opal Gardens, Saint Anselm Hall, Saint Gabriel's Hall, Victoria Hall

City Campus Arrival Arrangements - for George Kenyon Hall, Opal Hall, Weston Hall, Wright Robinson

Whitworth Park Arrival Arrangements - for Whitworth Park

Car Parking Facilities

Car parking Facilities are available online for Fallowfield Campus only at a cost of £160.00 per academic year.

International Students

We guarantee accommodation to international students throughout the duration of their course on the condition that they apply by the stated deadline and meet all other criteria (please see Accommodation Guarantee for further information). However, knowing that you will have somewhere to live will only take away some of your worries.

All of our halls have a large cultural mix and we try to ensure that this is reflected in our provisions, including a range of cultural events organised by the Residents Association (RA) or Junior Common Room (JCR) of that hall. The University of Manchester also runs an Orientation Week for international students, with a range of presentations and social events, and as part of this there are advisors on site at each campus to provide assistance and information.

Please read here for more information on support services available for International students. You may also be interested in reading about the International Society on their website.


There are a number of things that it is important that you make sure you have or have done before your big move. Please ensure that you have:

  • Made your pre-payment of £400.00
  • Signed and returned your licence agreement (unless you have accepted online)
  • Selected a payment plan
  • Where possible, completed and returned a Direct Debit mandate

For collecting your keys, please bring with you:

  • Your copy of your licence agreement (unless you have accepted online)
  • A form of photo ID

Essential household items to bring with you:

  • Cutlery, crockery and utensils
  • Bedding
  • Towels
  • Coat hangers

Please note: if you do not currently have a current UK bank account you will not be able to pay by Direct Debit, but you can hand in a completed mandate once you have opened your account.

There are also certain things that you will need to bring with you for living in halls. These will vary slightly from hall to hall, but certain things will be universal: However, most of these items can be bought at low cost from places around the city and staff at your hall will be happy to direct you to such stores. Bedding packs will also be available from your hall.

International Students will also require a Visa.

Contact us

Connect with us

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon